In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

Installing Chrome Dial Rings on the ZS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Installing Chrome Dial Rings on the ZS

Post  StevePem on 3/1/2011, 1:46 am

So, "fell at the first fence" on this one. I could not get the binacle surround of to get to the instrument panel.

I did the same job on the TF without a hitch so was not anticipating any problems.

I removed the two screws from the top of the suround and although I was then able to pull the top edge outwards, it was still held tight at the bottom. I removed the panel that goes below the steering column to see if that exposed any screws holding the suround from the bottom but could not see any.

Could be that it just needs a good hard pull to get it out but did not want to risk damaging it if there are other fixings that need to be removed. I have had a search around but can't find any "how to" on removing the instrument panel.

If I can get the suround of to expose the screws holding the instrument panel in place I think the rest of the job will be as per the TF - just need to know how to do the first bit Censored

StevePem

Back to top Go down

Re: Installing Chrome Dial Rings on the ZS

Post  Rich on 3/1/2011, 2:31 am

You need to remove the fog light switch to the left of the steering column and the switch blank to the right. They both expose two more screws. Then the binacle can be removed easily. Then there are four further screws to remove the actual instrument pack. Make sure you have the steering wheel column height set as low as possible to ease removal of the pack. I would also recommend removing the plastic column cover to avoid accidental scratching. Pulling out the connectors on the instrument pack can be pretty tight too. Not the space or loom length you have with the F/TF.

Then there's the matter of removing the front from the pack itself in order to get the rings on... Let me know if you get stuck at this stage!

The supplier included full instructions when I got mine, but I'd already sussed it out with the help of the good old Haynes manual when I altered the dial lighting a little...

Rich

Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem on 3/1/2011, 3:47 am

Thanks Rich

The instructions I got with mine have as step 1 "after removing the speedo cluster from the car...."

Do the fog light switch and the blanking plate just push out from behind?

Cheers
Steve

StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 3/1/2011, 4:09 am

If you look at the fog light switch and blank you will see a small splo at teh base in the centres, using a small flat blade screw driver you just pop them out.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 3/1/2011, 4:11 am

'ello? That Matt is stealing my moment again! Laughing

One thing I will add... The screws are a pain in the ar$e to get back in! If you have one, use a magnetic screwdriver. If not, a small bit of blue-tac works wonders...

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StevePem on 3/1/2011, 4:15 am

Thanks guys, I will have another go in the daylight tomorrow.

See you Thursday (hopefully with rings successfully installed!)

Cheers
Steve

StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 3/1/2011, 4:26 am

Good tip as the screws can be a bugger, Im lucky enough to be able to get a finger in there to help guide the screw in if I forget to pick up the correct screw driver Smile

Rich you have to be alot quicker than that Shooter Wink

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 3/1/2011, 4:48 am

Matt Parker wrote:Im lucky enough to be able to get a finger in there to help guide the screw in if I forget to pick up the correct screw driver Smile
I have 'additional wiring' in the way... Laughing

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Success

Post  StevePem on 6/1/2011, 3:18 am

I got the rings installed OK. Once I had the suround of, everything went surprisingly smoothly, I seperated the clear perspex from the panel and even managed to fit the rings without gluing them in, following the instructions.

Went so well, I also had time to fit the induction kit complete with heatshield and cold air feed.

I was going to take some pics yesterday but I went down to look at a red TF with my son, which he duly bought, so by the time we had sorted out Car Tax, bank transfers and insurance it was dark by the time we got back home.

So now we are a 3 MG family and he will be coming on lots of meets and runs and have sent him the link for this web site so he should be reading this post soon and signing up to SMS!

StevePem

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee121 on 6/1/2011, 9:15 am

StevePem wrote:I got the rings installed OK. Once I had the suround of, everything went surprisingly smoothly, I seperated the clear perspex from the panel and even managed to fit the rings without gluing them in, following the instructions.

Went so well, I also had time to fit the induction kit complete with heatshield and cold air feed.

I was going to take some pics yesterday but I went down to look at a red TF with my son, which he duly bought, so by the time we had sorted out Car Tax, bank transfers and insurance it was dark by the time we got back home.

So now we are a 3 MG family and he will be coming on lots of meets and runs and have sent him the link for this web site so he should be reading this post soon and signing up to SMS!

Now that is good news....chuffed Ed has 'come back' to the fold Very Happy Very Happy

Southmids Sportsters Member of the Year
2010, 2011 & 2012

MG - draining motorists wallets dry since 1924
Lee121

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on 7/1/2011, 3:28 am

Steve that's great news glad the rings fitted and you now have induction roar on the ZS Twisted Evil
So you're a 3 mg family now.... I thought Ed was after that Lotus? glad hes got a TF instead what the spec of it then?

Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum