In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

Information required re MGF suspension

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Information required re MGF suspension

Post  uk kiwis on 8/1/2011, 10:40 pm

You will be aware of the limited life of MGF Gaz pods. I have now collected a full spare set as mine are showing signs of failing having been pumped up several times.

Now, at the last SMS meeting several alternitives were mentioned.You Mat, mentioned something about Mini replacements and Richard you said an alternitive later mod was possible. I have read a great deal about the original pods with their 2% nitrogen inner filled sleeve but know little about alternitive replacements. I note on Ebay a comapny in Australia has manufactured brand new rear pods at A$800, a set I presume! Wow.

Now, it would be of great interest to me and others I guess to learn just what is avalable and a ball park figure of cost of same. I have it in mind to put all the information I have and the hopefully, the extra you have in an article for a couple of mags I write for.

Thanks guys and good luck with the Arctic run, sorry we are missing that one.

uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Re: Information required re MGF suspension

Post  Tony on 9/1/2011, 5:40 am

There was an article in the MGOC magazine last year about a company making an alternative that uses springs instead of gas and is a straight swap for the originals. Can't remember the name of the company though.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 9/1/2011, 6:06 am

I'm sure when Matt is on here next he'll fill you in on the details or perhaps bring a copy of the article to the next meet.

Rich

Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 9/1/2011, 12:07 pm

Yes there is a full coil over conversion kit available which was in MGOC mag last september but I cant give any more details atm due to being on my phone and not the computer, I'll put a copy of the article and company details up on my next visit.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis on 9/1/2011, 8:37 pm

Thanks, I look forward to further info.

uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 9/1/2011, 9:50 pm

uk kiwis wrote:
Thanks, I look forward to further info.
Of course Dave, you realise this would be classed as a mod and a long stretch from standard spec... even more so than changing your orange indicators! Laugh my a**e off!

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 10/1/2011, 9:40 am

The company that did the conversion are a German company called Suplex, they only made the prototype setup to date and they have release no further details regarding kits but you need to contact them direct to show your interest and if they get enough then kits will be available. Cost of the kit was estimated around £800. www.suplex.de

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis on 10/1/2011, 7:42 pm

This would seem to be quite a major modification Matt; and it would also alter insurance I guess as one would have to state that a major handling componant had been changed on the vehicle. MGF centre have some more independantly maufactured rear pods on order I am informed and they retail around the £180 each mark (aprox) They recommend buying in pairs as the internal pressures may differ very slightly from an original.

As time goes by more alternitives will probably appear.

Richard: sorry you do not like my indicator originals perhaps if I fit 'Blue' ones you will be
happier .ha

uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 11/1/2011, 12:40 am

uk kiwis wrote:Richard: sorry you do not like my indicator originals perhaps if I fit 'Blue' ones you will be happier .ha
I'd love them, as I'm sure you would too, but there may be a small problem with the lads from the station... Twisted Evil

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  daved on 12/1/2011, 5:15 am

Hi Dave

The Metro suspension is an identical fit for the standard F and you can still get all parts to the original spec.

If you want I can put you in touch with my mechanic (I believe you fell out with Clifton Lane too?)

Cheers

Dave
Scott the Scot!

daved

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis on 12/1/2011, 10:00 pm

Not sure if you meant me Dave (Clifton Lane)

Only Adrian and a new mechanic there now as Martin has departed. However I continue to use the service. I am aware of reports of dissatisfaction. However I am still happy to use them.

The last two minor jobs I had done were not charged for at all. The hourly rate up to date
has been a very reasonable £50.00.

I guess one judges by ones own experience so for me Clifton Lane remains a convenient
destination.

uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 12/1/2011, 10:09 pm

uk kiwis wrote:Only Adrian and a new mechanic there now as Martin has departed. However I continue to use the service. I am aware of reports of dissatisfaction. However I am still happy to use them.
Martin has started his own garage service up as he was fed up with all the complaints Adrian was getting for his 'questionable' abilities as a mechanic. He's based close to where Clifton-Lane used to be. He's also interested in getting back some of his SmS customers so might be worth checking out... Cool

I stood loyal to Clifton-Lane for quite a while but when I saw the shoddy work carried out fitting my dad's engine to his ZT, especially the fact that basic bolts were left loose and they couldn't even fit a spark plug correctly, that was it. It could have even cost him his life. It's all fine until you actually experience it. Then you start to wish you had listened to others and saved alot of heartache and money... Evil or Very Mad

Thank goodness for other competent mechanics in our midst... Thanks again Matt! Thumbs up

Digressed!
daved wrote:The Metro suspension is an identical fit for the standard F and you can still get all parts to the original spec.
The original Mini and the Maxi, or course, had the hydrogas spheres too... study

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  uk kiwis on 13/1/2011, 7:32 pm

Point taken. (Clifton/Martin.)

So, Mini and Metro. Are these units fitted to the two cars really interchangeable?
It does not seem common knowledge in that case. Has anyone tried to swap them?

If they are in reasonable supply and cost I am wondering why MGF centre and the Aussies
are going to so much trouble to reproduce the units.

Interesting topic and thanks for the input.

uk kiwis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich on 14/1/2011, 8:05 am

I'm pretty sure the Metro ones are. After all, MGFs use Metro subframes!

Rich

Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on 14/1/2011, 8:52 am

As far as I know the mini, princess, allegro ran hydrolastic pods which were similar but not the same as a hydrogas pod. The metro ran hydrogas but I think that the damper rates were different to the F. I'll have a look in my david knowles book as I'm sure there's a chapter in there somewhere about it Very Happy

Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 14/1/2011, 9:34 pm

Nick

I think your right I remeber reading somewhere that the damper rates where different, it does make sense as I suspect that a MGF is alot heavier than a metro.
cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  ventzaq on 25/3/2011, 9:42 am

Hi !

Is this the conversion people are thinking of :

Brown and Gammons
part BGF7004

MGF COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT MGF COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT

??

regards
kevin