In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

Anyone with a VVC and an emerald?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone with a VVC and an emerald?

Post  gotenks1321 on 9/7/2011, 8:33 am

Has anyone got the config file and base map that should come with the ECU at all that I could borrow please? Mine was originally for something else so has the wrong base map on it Embarassed

Cheers Smile

MGF VVC
Miltek, Enclosed K&N, 52mm TB, WON nitrous, Emerald K3 & Innovate Wideband, 280mm brakes all round, Lowered and polybushed, Gaz adjustable shocks, Alpine ICE, MS Bell Crank

cheers Turbo coming.....eventually cheers
gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone with a VVC and an emerald?

Post  Matt Parker on 9/7/2011, 10:34 am

I should have the maps somewhere on a pc, the main ecu config setup is preety straight forward to do for the VVC as you just have to change the output settings to VVC.
If you go to 'ECU Configuration' in the top menu bad, go to 'outputs' and then set the VVC increase and decrease(VVT/VVC+ and VVC-) to which ever 'auxout' pins you have then to in the ECU plug.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 10/7/2011, 2:52 am

Thanks Matt Very Happy Is that the only change needed? I don't have that option in the software at the moment but I assume that's because I haven't plugged the ECU in and connected?

MGF VVC
Miltek, Enclosed K&N, 52mm TB, WON nitrous, Emerald K3 & Innovate Wideband, 280mm brakes all round, Lowered and polybushed, Gaz adjustable shocks, Alpine ICE, MS Bell Crank

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 10/7/2011, 10:49 pm

ah, what model Emerald do you have, is it an M3DK or K3?

If is an M3DK then the VVC wont work with it as it unless its a later model where you can have a software update to have the features of the K3 with the additional outputs to operate the VVC.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 17/7/2011, 6:56 am

Sorry for the delay but yep, it's the K3 and I've figured out what I was doing wrong Laughing I was using the latest version of the software from the Emerald website which happens to be for the M3DK, not the M3 Embarassed

Can't get it to idle with the maps I've got hold of now so in the middle of making up a loom to plug into the existing one, I'll drive up to Emerald with the standard then plug in the loom extension and the Emerald and get them to map it cheers

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 17/7/2011, 8:12 am

Thats what I did originally, only way I could get my old solid cam VVC to run was use standard ECU to get it started and once it was warm enough to swap to the emerald hald way on the way there to save fuel lol

Have you set up the idle control valve to the correct sensor?
also if you are mems3 you WILL need to replace the idle control valve for a mems1.9/2J with the 5 wires and add the wiring plug with the power feed for the idle valve as the Emerald can onhly operate the early idle control valve and not the mems3 unit.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 17/7/2011, 9:15 am

Mine won't run at all with the Emerald connected at the moment Sad I'm wondering if some of my wiring is a bit 'suspect' hence getting another loom to modify and fit Idea

Mine is a mems 2J so that should be ok. I can't think of any reason why the base map or Jon's maps would be so far out on my car, I didn't think there would be that much variation between them Sad

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 18/7/2011, 6:40 am

If you have made a conversion loom for the standard engine loom to plug into then to the Emerald then I would say you have a wire or 2 wrong then, double check pin locations and contiunity checks for breaks.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 20/7/2011, 1:09 am

I haven't yet made the loom but there were some crudely connected wires when I moved the pins over to the Emerald connector - that's why I am making a loom Embarassed

Just out of curiosity, does your Emerald run hot at all? Mine seems to get rather warm to the touch after running for a little while.

You'll have a PM later too, questions from my dad about the conversion kit to MEMS3. Basically wanting to know everything that comes with it and what he needs to get seperately (if anything).

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 22/7/2011, 7:41 am

I can'r recall it getting hot, it will be warm due to the size of the unit and whats inside anmd it running all the time. One on my ZS is hidden behind the mems ECU so can't check, one of Fizzbot is in the standard possition so it gets warm due to the engine bay of the F but nothing to be worried about.

If the ECU goes pop and doesn't work then I'd worry Wink

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 27/8/2011, 10:50 pm

Rise thread, back from the dead Laughing

Finally finished making up my adapter loom and got a couple of maps from Jon Norris and Stu Dickens.

I've had a lot of help from Andycolm and Jon Norris over on .org and we identified a couple of bits that were wrong with the Emerald wiring instructions and sorted those but the car still won't run with any of the maps I have. I've tried it on both my dad's F and mine with exactly the same results, no idle, very rough running and very reluctant to rev. It doesn't seem to make sense that a map that runs perfectly on Jon's car won't run either of ours at all, same with Stu's and the base map from Emerald.

I've double and trippled checked all wiring with the Emerald instructions, the RAVE wiring diagram and the physical wiring on the engine loom and all seems fine in those respects.

Could the map be that different or am I looking at a dodgy ECU or something else wrong? It's back in it's box now as I've spent days trying to get this to work now Crying or Very sad

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 27/8/2011, 11:43 pm

Sounds like you either haven't got a communication from the either the map sensor, throttle potentiometer or the idle valve. Have you set up the throttle pot range. type of idle valve and checked to see what the map reading is on the live data?

Saying that if you are having faults with those items it will be a power supply issue for the sensors.

Is there anyone else car you know of that is running emerald that you can drop just your ecu onto to test it as you could have a faulty ecu as if you have gotten a wire wrong at some point of the conversion loom then it could have fried the ecu.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 28/8/2011, 12:12 am

Thanks for your reply Matt Smile

From what I can remember: The IACV valve seems ok and I can operate it manually from the Live Adjustments screen and hear it moving both ways. I've setup the TPS and played around with the screw on the throttle body itself as suggested by Jon and reset the TPS each time so that the Emerald knows where it is etc, that also appears to show up ok in Live Adjustments and changes Engine State from revving to idling etc based on the settings in Idle Correction.

The MAP sensor I believe registers in the negative and I think I remember seeing it at either -0.30 bar or -0.50. Didn't pay much attention to it tbh, could that be the problem?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone local who's got one fitted otherwise that would have been ideal for testing.

I'm still worried about how hot it gets too, I managed to burn my hand the last time when unplugging it to plug the standard ECU back in Embarassed

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 28/8/2011, 3:01 am

The map shouldn't be reading negative pressure so if its positive 0.3 - 0.5 bar then that is ok if a little high but not enough to upset running of the engine

With you saying that you burnt your hand touching it there is deffinately a problem with the ecu as it should NOT get hot and any heat produced from it would not be warm enough to give an ant hot feet so I would say that you have a faulty ecu. Unless your mounting it near another object that will give off excessive heat.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 28/8/2011, 4:31 am

Well I guess that's that then, it can go back in it's box and stay there as I haven't got any more time or money to waste on it. Supposed to be brand new and never used but obviously that's not the case.

Thanks for all your help Matt, I owe you a pint or three at the next meet Have a Pint

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 28/8/2011, 4:59 am

Dan

Cant you send it off to emerald and get them to do a diag job on it, it might just be a quick fix?

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 28/8/2011, 5:13 am

From £25 + VAT for a check and then whatever the repair costs are which is money I just don't have right now. I paid £600 for the ECU in supposed "new and never used" condition so I certainly didn't expect to have trouble like this. That along with money spent making the loom and a wasted summer trying to get it to work mean I'm a little p'eed off with it all right now tbh Sad

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 30/8/2011, 5:10 am

Not a problem.

Do you want to send it to me and I can plug it into mine and I can check the operation on Fizzbot to see if its the ECU or the loom, as I know my engines work with my Emerald's.

Where did you buy it from? I always get mine direct, so when I had a faulty unit on the ZS I just sent it back to them, Carl diagnosed a fault which was repairable so he rebuilt it, send it back to me all free of charge.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  gotenks1321 on 30/8/2011, 6:37 am

That's a great offer Matt, thanks. I'm back to work now so not home until the weekend but can box it up and send it up to you if you're sure you don't mind?

I bought it from someone on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150619804580 listed as brand new, never been used. Seemed genuine enough and happy to answer any questions I had so maybe it was faulty from Emerald and they didn't know either?

If it is faulty then I hope it's cheaply fixable otherwise I've got one expensive paperweight Rolling Eyes

MGF VVC

gotenks1321

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 30/8/2011, 6:48 am

Its not a problem, don't have much to do these days since my operation so gives me an excuse to go into the garage and play lol

As it was for a Golf it would have been setup with the basic parameters and functions fopr the golf so I wouldn't be suprised if there was a function not correctly set somewhere, only from looking through everything I should know which is not right if thats the case.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum