In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

Best handling pack for a TF

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best handling pack for a TF

Post  cejsmith on 2/9/2011, 9:28 pm

After chasing a certain F last night , I feel that I need to do something with the handling on the TF. The high speed lane changes weren't as sharp as I would like!!!

So what is the best ride handling package I can buy for the TF for a resonable price???

But one thing I dont want a rock hard car as that would be rubbish around here and no I dont want to put Hydrogas in Tongue

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Re: Best handling pack for a TF

Post  adrianvvc on 2/9/2011, 10:31 pm

I suggest buy a Trophy as well

adrianvvc

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on 2/9/2011, 10:45 pm

How many miles have you done on your new tyres now Col? as I know they can feel a bit greasy until the mold release agent has properly gone.
Failing that the 85th is renowned as the best handling / ride combination available, it has Bilstein suspension, Eibach anti roll bars (thicker than any previously fitted to a TF), I dont know what springs are used though?
I know you like a 'deal' so I think the main problem for you will be finding that set up for 14pence plus a ball of string Laughing
Got to be worth having a 4 wheel alignment done on your TF as a matter of course I'd guess.

Last edited by Nick on 2/9/2011, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on 2/9/2011, 10:46 pm

Alternatively you could rip out the wooden block suspension and fit some nice hydrogas pods!

Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 3/9/2011, 12:39 am

Nick wrote:How many miles have you done on your new tyres now Col? as I know they can feel a bit greasy until the mold release agent has properly gone.
Failing that the 85th is renowned as the best handling / ride combination available, it has Bilstein suspension, Eibach anti roll bars (thicker than any previously fitted to a TF), I dont know what springs are used though?
I know you like a 'deal' so I think the main problem for you will be finding that set up for 14pence plus a ball of string Laughing
Got to be worth having a 4 wheel alignment done on your TF as a matter of course I'd guess.

14p and a ball of string , do you think I'm made of money Shocked

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 3/9/2011, 1:14 am

Nick wrote:Alternatively you could rip out the wooden block suspension and fit some nice hydrogas pods!

As it happens Nick the TF hasn't got hard suspension, it's more bounce than most f's I've driven.

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 3/9/2011, 6:02 am

As per what Nick said, the best setup is 85th spec but that also has the 6.5" width rims on the front and 7.5" wide on the rear which helps. I drove an LE500 with the 85th setup on it as it was the test mule and it handled really really well giving you precise feedback and full control of the road whilst being comfortable like Hydragas.

With the amount of 85th cars about and lack of them being available for spares the second best route to go for is to get hold of any 2005 onwards suspension from a breaker as this way you will have the Bilstien dampers and the softer rate coils. If you can't find any of these then I reconmend going for the Bilstien comfort damper kit, this is what I have on the TF and it is much better than a standard pre2005 TF, and it gives you the option of 3 levels of ride height.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 3/9/2011, 7:51 am

Matt Parker wrote:As per what Nick said, the best setup is 85th spec but that also has the 6.5" width rims on the front and 7.5" wide on the rear which helps. I drove an LE500 with the 85th setup on it as it was the test mule and it handled really really well giving you precise feedback and full control of the road whilst being comfortable like Hydragas.

With the amount of 85th cars about and lack of them being available for spares the second best route to go for is to get hold of any 2005 onwards suspension from a breaker as this way you will have the Bilstien dampers and the softer rate coils. If you can't find any of these then I reconmend going for the Bilstien comfort damper kit, this is what I have on the TF and it is much better than a standard pre2005 TF, and it gives you the option of 3 levels of ride height.

Matt whats the different between the comfort pack and the 85th set up???

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 4/9/2011, 3:30 am

The comfort pack is purely just the Bilstien damper set but has 3 different levels for the springs to sit to determine the ride height.

The 85th set up is the same grade of Bilstien dampers with a fixed spring platform, softer coil springs front and rear and larger diameter anti roll bars, and also the + and - 1/2" in the road wheels.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 4/9/2011, 7:42 pm

Matt Parker wrote:The comfort pack is purely just the Bilstien damper set but has 3 different levels for the springs to sit to determine the ride height.

The 85th set up is the same grade of Bilstien dampers with a fixed spring platform, softer coil springs front and rear and larger diameter anti roll bars, and also the + and - 1/2" in the road wheels.

So can you buy the springs , dampers, anti roll bar from MG, or is there a third party source???

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 5/9/2011, 1:26 am

The parts are all listed and there is a large supply of all, how ever they are all at Longbridge and not available for sale as yet. My dad has put a word across to them that they should be selling all the parts as an upgrade kit for existing TF owner's which would be good to most of us but for now the only way to get hold of them is by finding an unfortunate 85th in a breakers somewhere.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 5/9/2011, 8:13 pm

Does any one know if spax shocks and springs are any good?

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on 6/9/2011, 9:05 pm

OK I may have been a bit Rash, but I saw an item on the bay of e and bought it Shocked

Matt are the LE500 Springs and dampers an improvement over the origian MGTF set up (I believe they are similar to the 2005 Model year set up?)

If so then Colin I may have a bit of a bargain for you, if not I may have bought a pup!

Last edited by Nick on 6/9/2011, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nick
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 6/9/2011, 9:30 pm

Nick wrote:OK I may have been a bit Rash, but I saw an item on the bay of e and bought it Shocked

Matt are the LE500 Springs and dampers an improvement over the origian MGTF set up (I believe they are similar to the 2005 Model year set up?)

If so then Colin I may have a bit of a bargain for you, if not I may have bough a pup!

Thanks Nick much appricated, the deal is done.

Quick question for Matt though, will it be worth me upgrading my anti roll bars and is there much difference between the LE500 shocks and the 85th?

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 6/9/2011, 10:20 pm

LE500 TF135 springs and dampers are the same spec as 2005 model year, these were carried over. The front dampers on the 85th are the same as previous, they just changed the rear dampers on the 85th model.

Anti roll bars are all the same apart from on 85th which are bigger front and rear.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 6/9/2011, 10:23 pm

Matt Parker wrote:LE500 TF135 springs and dampers are the same spec as 2005 model year, these were carried over. The front dampers on the 85th are the same as previous, they just changed the rear dampers on the 85th model.

Anti roll bars are all the same apart from on 85th which are bigger front and rear.

Wel I've got them now , so I will have to see if I can find any upgraded anti roll bars. I've email eurocar parts as they do the Eibach roll bars and see if they can supply.

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 7/9/2011, 1:28 am

Slap my wrist as the all mighty has gave me accurate info on the dampers, the 2005 model, Le500 and TF135 dampers are all made by a spanish company done cheaply. The 85th dampers all round are made by Bilstein which are modified versions of the Bilstein comfort kit you an buy for the TF which I have, the fronts are basically the same but the rears have be re-valved.

my error due to poor information originally supplied to me Embarassed

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 7/9/2011, 1:50 am

Matt Parker wrote:Slap my wrist as the all mighty has gave me accurate info on the dampers, the 2005 model, Le500 and TF135 dampers are all made by a spanish company done cheaply. The 85th dampers all round are made by Bilstein which are modified versions of the Bilstein comfort kit you an buy for the TF which I have, the fronts are basically the same but the rears have be re-valved.

my error due to poor information originally supplied to me Embarassed

So do you think the LE500 dampers will be better than my 2003 ones , or will I be just wasting my time putting them on my car??

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 7/9/2011, 2:01 am

Yes they will be better.

but depending on how much each set would cost I would always go with the best i.e Bilstein unless there is a BIG price difference then I would settle for the Le500.

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 7/9/2011, 3:26 am

Matt Parker wrote:Yes they will be better.

but depending on how much each set would cost I would always go with the best i.e Bilstein unless there is a BIG price difference then I would settle for the Le500.

Well the bilsteins would cost me and extra £450, so I think at least in the short term I will stick to the LE500 ones. Smile

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 12/9/2011, 6:54 pm

Does anyone know what the parts no is of the front and rear shocks on a 2005 model year/ LE500 and what it was for a standard non sports pack pre 2005 TF and where they both monroe?

Thanks

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 13/9/2011, 3:29 am

Pre 2005 standard dampers

Front - RNB000880
Rear - RPD000470 and the superseeded part number RPD000610

Pre 2005 'sports suspension'

Front - RNB000890
Rear - RPD000480 and the superseeded part number RPD000620

Post 2005(inc LE500/TF135)