Log in

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am



So many options :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 4/10/2011, 12:13 am

Right, I could buy one ready built, or go for a cheap 160 tf, or do it myself,

Whats people opinions on this mod from MS, I think I would look to fit it myself, as I have to figure these engines out sooner or later, but that looks good value to me ( DVA want 950 for the same kit), I could also ask them to put in a higher lift exhaust cam to add a bit more bhp onto it.


MGF VVC/TF Clubman kit (Also fits ZR 160cars)
Consists of reworking valves, seats, throats and port profiles. When coupled with our recommended air induction kit and exhaust mods can produce around 175BHP with associated increase torque and throttle response. Customers to send in their own unit for rework, price is £450.00 plus Vat, lead-time 7-10 working days.
A fitting service is available and this costs £550.00 plus Vat.


http://www.mikesatur.com/acatalog/MG_Rover.html

Matt, if you reading this, do you offer this kind of service??
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 4/10/2011, 3:50 am

Interesting reply for Mike, never knew you could fix the rattle abit, mines not too bad, but might be of interest to those where it is bad.

[i]The VVC units can be prone to a slight tapping noise and this can get worse with time, this can be made less noisey by the anti-rattle fix I have and I can incorporate that when I do the head otherwise if you want to fit a new unit it is an extra £240 + vat, if you can live with it then leave it but the higher lift cam won't really exacerbate it.
Mike [/i

So it would cost £620 pounds to have the head ported, flowed etc, and high lift cam put on, which seems good to me, Unless Matt can do it cheaper Tongue Coffee
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Matt Parker on 4/10/2011, 5:47 am

lol what would you like Wink

I have done light cleaning/porting of heads in the past but I don't specialise in this, for cylinder head work I have all mine done by Peter Burgess

The head I have on my 1.9 is an Eco-tune spec VVC casting where is is just lightly cleaned up. I've had this head on various engine specs the first being a 1.8 with 270 cams fitted and a VVC inlet, 52t/b, ITG and Janspeed 4-2-1, this produced 175bhp. I then fitted the VHPD multiple throttle bodies and it went to 190bhp, then the head was moved onto my 1.9 which peaked at 207bhp and now is fitted to Fizzbot but with a different exhaust setup its down abit of bhp but up on torque(I have the figures on here somewhere as I can't recall off top of my head lol)

So basically an Eco-tune which is very basic can give you results in excess of 170bhp on a VVC engine depending on current modifications and then if you wanted you can have a higher degree of modification done to the head like opening the ports more, bigger valves but these are not really beneficial to you unless you have hotter cams, throttle bodies and a mapable ECU like Emerald.

If you wanted I could sell you the head from Fizzbot complete with the 270 cams, verniers for £500 Rolling Eyes as I do have a new head on the bench and some hotter cams etc to go on him(had for afew years now) just haven't had chance to fit them Sad


Matt

avatar
Matt Parker
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 4/10/2011, 6:16 am

Matt Parker wrote:lol what would you like Wink

I have done light cleaning/porting of heads in the past but I don't specialise in this, for cylinder head work I have all mine done by Peter Burgess

The head I have on my 1.9 is an Eco-tune spec VVC casting where is is just lightly cleaned up. I've had this head on various engine specs the first being a 1.8 with 270 cams fitted and a VVC inlet, 52t/b, ITG and Janspeed 4-2-1, this produced 175bhp. I then fitted the VHPD multiple throttle bodies and it went to 190bhp, then the head was moved onto my 1.9 which peaked at 207bhp and now is fitted to Fizzbot but with a different exhaust setup its down abit of bhp but up on torque(I have the figures on here somewhere as I can't recall off top of my head lol)

So basically an Eco-tune which is very basic can give you results in excess of 170bhp on a VVC engine depending on current modifications and then if you wanted you can have a higher degree of modification done to the head like opening the ports more, bigger valves but these are not really beneficial to you unless you have hotter cams, throttle bodies and a mapable ECU like Emerald.

If you wanted I could sell you the head from Fizzbot complete with the 270 cams, verniers for £500 Rolling Eyes as I do have a new head on the bench and some hotter cams etc to go on him(had for afew years now) just haven't had chance to fit them Sad

Seriously interested in that head, would it be a straight swap, and with my setup should match your 175bhp. I could offset the cost of your head selling my head, its only done 12k miles so should be good for 150-200 pounds in itself.

Ps if i went for it, would you be able to help me fit it, the worry I have is getting the timing right again afterwards.
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 5/10/2011, 11:41 pm

so have you decided yet????


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 5/10/2011, 11:44 pm

Well, I think I am going with the head from Matt, assuming he still wants to sell it. That way I get best of both worlds at a reasonable price. After all my car is pretty much sorted and to add his head onto it will finish off the engine mods quite nicely. Although I may still look at the TF and buy it as a project to sell on.

avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 5/10/2011, 11:45 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:Well, I think I am going with the head from Matt, assuming he still wants to sell it. That way I get best of both worlds at a reasonable price. After all my car is pretty much sorted and to add his head onto it will finish off the engine mods quite nicely. Although I may still look at the TF and buy it as a project to sell on.


Fair enough, if you can get it for £1k it would be worth it.


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/10/2011, 4:55 pm

Well what a turnaround, I am going to see the TF160 at lunch with the view to purchase. It is a one owner 55k mile grey TF 160, 52plate . May have head gasket, but sounds more like expansion cap, air in radiator etc, as oil is clean and no smoke, no lose of water.

Now I am not going to jinx it yet, but the price is good, well very very good.

Does anybody have a car transporter I could potentially borrow on Saturday?? I do have a man to pick it up but I would rather do it.

avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Rich on 7/10/2011, 5:26 pm

We're all busy Saturday getting remapped but good luck with the purchase. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix, but don't forget to make out to be the most expensive repair to the current owner so it stays cheap as chips! Smile


Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

avatar
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator


http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 7/10/2011, 7:10 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:Well what a turnaround, I am going to see the TF160 at lunch with the view to purchase. It is a one owner 55k mile grey TF 160, 52plate . May have head gasket, but sounds more like expansion cap, air in radiator etc, as oil is clean and no smoke, no lose of water.

Now I am not going to jinx it yet, but the price is good, well very very good.

Does anybody have a car transporter I could potentially borrow on Saturday?? I do have a man to pick it up but I would rather do it.


Just stick some water in it and put a new expansion cap on then drive it away!!!! Very Happy


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/10/2011, 7:12 pm

Fingers crossed!!!, its sorn though and I cant drive two cars at the same time Smile
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 7/10/2011, 7:37 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:Fingers crossed!!!, its sorn though and I cant drive two cars at the same time Smile

Thats a poor excuses Laughing


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/10/2011, 9:08 pm

The potential TF, going to go and see it in mo, looks good.

avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 7/10/2011, 9:29 pm

looks good mate, so come on then how much?????????

Is it a spark?


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/10/2011, 9:32 pm

No idea what spec it is how would I tell? You have a guess the agreed price first Smile
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 7/10/2011, 9:49 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:No idea what spec it is how would I tell? You have a guess the agreed price first Smile

£859.75


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/10/2011, 9:49 pm

A little bit too low, not by much though
avatar
Sambomonkee
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Rich on 7/10/2011, 9:58 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:Fingers crossed!!!, its sorn though and I cant drive two cars at the same time Smile
Easy way round the sorn... Book it in to your local MoT station and if you get stopped for no tax, tell them you're on your way there. That covers you as long as they can confirm it is booked in. Then, of course, you drive it home and cancel the booking!
Thumbs up


Red Face ... Sent from my abacus using wooden beads

avatar
Rich
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator


http://www.southmids-sportsters.org

Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  cejsmith on 7/10/2011, 10:16 pm

Sambomonkee wrote:A little bit too low, not by much though

As I said at the start £1k


avatar
cejsmith
Registered user
Registered user


Back to top Go down

Re: So many options :(

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum