In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

It's Alive!!!

Go down

It's Alive!!!

Post  cejsmith on 17/2/2012, 5:27 am

just got home after picking the 75 up from Martin, after paying Martins bill , lets just say my cheap little run around isn't quite as cheap as I would have liked!!!

On the drive home , it proved to be nice and comfortable and pulls very well, it's seems quicker than the power would suggest!!!

The only two down sides so far , the wing mirrors dont work and when you give it the beans I can lay quite a smoke screen down( hopefully this should burn off soon as it's the left over oil in the exhaust system according to Martin).

So I need to out now a find a nice cloth cap Very Happy

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Re: It's Alive!!!

Post  Captain Slow on 17/2/2012, 6:27 am

Go on...how much? Tongue

"You can sleep in a car, but you can't drive a house..."
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on 17/2/2012, 8:18 am

Woohoo. Glad it's sorted and another potential breaker is avoided.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 17/2/2012, 8:32 am

Glad to hear that Col Smile

Not sure if you have posted anywhere else but what was the fault in the end?

If you havea smoke screen it may just be from standing about and having oil etc seep into the exhaust previously and it will burn off with use, if not then you may have an issue with a duff head or block Neutral

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 17/2/2012, 8:48 am

Matt Parker wrote:Glad to hear that Col Smile

Not sure if you have posted anywhere else but what was the fault in the end?

If you havea smoke screen it may just be from standing about and having oil etc seep into the exhaust previously and it will burn off with use, if not then you may have an issue with a duff head or block Neutral

The two main faults where the electrical problem that took Martin a long time to sort out and the replacement turbo. Looking at the old turbo it looked like the oil seals had blown as there was loads of oil in it. I'm hoping that I'm just burning off the oil in the exhaust, I would have thought that if the rings or the valve seals had gone the compression would have been down and the plugs would have been covered oil, but Martin said they where both either clean or fine.

The car doesn't smoke on constant throttle , it's only smokes when you boot it. So touch wood it should clear in the next couple of days otherwise I've blown a load of cash for nothing!!!

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 17/2/2012, 9:12 am

and the electrical fault in the end was...... Question

If the turbo oil seal had failed then it would have filled the exhaust system with oil (soaking the cat) and this will take some time to clear. You are best to take the car out late at night down some quiet country roads where you are able to give full beans high rpm low gears getting the exhaust system hot so it burns off the oil build up. If you leave it and just tootle about then you could risk further damage to the cat.

I have had to take several cars down the country roads up from work to clear the exhaust systems of oil from turbo failures (always the 1.6 turbo diesels) its always interesting doing this as when you look in the mirror all you see if a wall of white especially down the roads I go where its in a gully so to anyone else it makes the road look like a river of smoke

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 17/2/2012, 8:27 pm

It looks like the last blast I did down the A5D cleared the oil, 8 miles at 4/5000revs should have got it nice and hot!!!!!

The only thing left to do now is get the electric mirrors sorted and it's all good ( apart from the sh*t new front tyres I didn't realise rubber could be so bad Sad )

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 17/2/2012, 9:29 pm

For those of you that are interested here is what Martin had to say

I checked out all the wiring circuits and eventually found the damaged wiring under the fuse box, a couple of wires were corroded through, pink and brown wa one cant remember the colours of the other one. that was when you arrived and the engine still wouldnt fire, so i took the fuel pump apart in the tank and found it hadnt been put together right so i did that and it fired up.

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Parker on 18/2/2012, 6:58 am

Thats good, not suprised about the corroded wires with the ammouth of water that collects in the scuttle pockets around the ecu etc, as they fill up and then it goes straight into the cabin(interior) and the main fuse boarde and body controllers are direcdtly under the scuttle pocket Suspect

Fuel pump, sounds like someone tried to cut costs and just put an insert in instead of the off the shelf part of the complete fuel pump in the housing that 'plops' straight into the tank without much hassel Rolling Eyes

Anyway i shall be expecting to see it soon, so I(we all) can make fun of it and you

Btw Col, have you still got the original Turbo or has this has to be sent back to the supplier of the replacement? If you still have would you mind if it came my way Smile

Matt

Matt Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  cejsmith on 19/2/2012, 1:09 am

Hi Matt

The turbo is still at Martin's , it was on his scrap pile. Assuming he hasn't thrown it yet your more than welcome to it.

I've emailed and ask him to keep it.

What are you going to do with it?????????

cejsmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum