In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 79 on 8/6/2015, 4:19 am

...and onto the next issue :(

Go down

...and onto the next issue :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 6/3/2012, 11:00 pm

Had the car on the road two days, and this morning, it starts to hesitate below 3k, like its dropping a cylinder or like a turbo would feels like when its failed.

So open the bonnet, and there it is a bleeding rattley inlet manifold. Now first call I'm going to whip the VIS motors off and check them for dry joints etc.

But is it worth shelling out on a known good one (I can get a good one for 125 pounds)

Its really annoying as I have got all the issues sorted out, and pretty much turned it into a nice standard Mk2.

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Re: ...and onto the next issue :(

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/3/2012, 3:20 am

And now it works fine again, maybe it doesn't like the cold
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on 7/3/2012, 7:12 pm

In extreme cases the plastic push rods inside can snap making it completely useless. If yours is now working again it can't have reached this advanced stage yet but if you're taking it off it won't hurt to flush through with a carb cleaner to remove the gunk that can build up.
If you can get a good one cheap (they are about £500 normally) then it's worth getting and putting on the shelf for later.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 7/3/2012, 7:30 pm

Tony wrote:In extreme cases the plastic push rods inside can snap making it completely useless. If yours is now working again it can't have reached this advanced stage yet but if you're taking it off it won't hurt to flush through with a carb cleaner to remove the gunk that can build up.
If you can get a good one cheap (they are about £500 normally) then it's worth getting and putting on the shelf for later.

Thats what I thought as well, its like having spare hydrogas units, you cant have too many.

Tony, if you also hear of anybody selling a sheddist clutch kit, give me a shout, I'm on the the waiting list (how ever long that will be!!), but my clutch slave bracket has seen better days and cant have long left.
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on 7/3/2012, 11:55 pm

I've heard of the sheddist kit but not actually seen one installed. I know of a few who have it, but the only one I knew personally actually went back to the OE set up after problems with the kit.

While it's undoubtably stronger than the OE set up it doesn't address the real problem which is that the shaft that enters the gearbox to open the clutch can seize in the gearbox casing.

Initially this makes the clutch and gear change heavy, eventually the extra load on the bracket and hydraulics causes them to fail. If it seizes completely then it will blow the hydraulics as soon as you try to use the clutch.

Regular greasing around the shaft entry should help stave off problems.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 8/3/2012, 4:46 am

I did spray some WD40 down there, which seems to helped, but I am going to have to grease it up properly at the weekend.

I know the bracket is a bit dodgy as the starter motor earth is connected to it, and sometimes the car wont start unless you press the clutch (Ie making the earth connection tighter/connect beter)

I am going to remove the battery and have a good look, paint it all up, tighten it grease it, basically give it an overhaul.

Ps, still running fine now, so not sure what was going on.
Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sambomonkee on 11/3/2012, 4:03 am

Cars being running like a dream but.....

I nearly ran out of fuel as the new pump I got looks like its got a faulty sender, I only new I was running out as the low warning light came on, even though I had a quarter of tank. (filled it up again with 49 litres so got lucky there)

So I have to drop the tank again and get a replacement, I will wait until it runs out of fuel again though, what a pain.

Also looked at the clutch slave, and what a crap design the bracket is, the slave is pretty much held in with friction, on the good side, it is a new slave and someone had not put the retaining clip in the correct place at the back of the slave/bracket, which meant it moved around under pressure, sorted that, greased the arm, removed all slack from the throttle cable and its now driving brilliantly.

Just could have done without the pain for taking the tank back out.

PS have a look at this picture too see why the old pump failed Laughing

Sambomonkee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum